• damientfisher

Former Claremont cops sued for assault and bad search

A Claremont man is suing two former police officers who both pleaded guilty to lying about the search of his apartment, claiming they violated his civil rights and that he was illegally Tased during the bogus search.

Christopher Rattcliffe filed the lawsuit last week in the United States District Court in Concord against Ian Kibbe and Mark Burch. Kibbe and Burch both pleaded guilty last year to charges stemming from the 2018 search where they arrested Ratcliffe.

Ratcliffe’s lawsuit, prepared by attorney Jared Bedrick, connects his February 2018 arrest at the hands of Kibbe and Burch with the killing of Cody Lafont, the mentally ill Claremont man Kibbe shot in September of 2016.

Kibbe pleaded guilty to one count of unsworn falsification and one count of obstruction of government administration for his role in Ratcliffe’s arrest. Burch pleaded guilty to one count of unsworn falsification, a class A misdemeanor. More than 30 criminal cases were dropped by Claremont Police and the Sullivan County Attorney’s Office as a result of Kibbe and Burch’s actions, including most of the charges the pair brought against.

According to court records, Kibbe lied about seeing weapons in the bedroom of Ratcliffe, a convicted felon, during the February 2018 arrest in Claremont. Kibbe was in Ratcliffe’s apartment with Burch and New Hampshire State Trooper Eric Fosterling to serve an arrest warrant on Ratcliffe.

Kibbe and Burch lied at the scene, telling Fosterling that a baton, a Glock pistol, and a rifle were among the weapons in plain sight in Ratcliff’s bedroom, according to testimony brought out in court during the criminal cases. Instead, the weapons were inside closed bags when the officers first arrested Ratcliff. Kibbe wrote in his report, and the subsequent affidavit, that the weapons were in plain sight, and he then signed the affidavit to support the arrest, according to testimony.

According to the new lawsuit, Kibbe used his department Taser on Ratcliffe while Ratcliffe was still in bed.

“Ratcliffe, at the time Kibbe unlawfully discharged his taser, was not attempting to avoid a lawful seizure, nor did he pose any threat to an officer’s safety or the safety of the public while sleeping in bed,” the lawsuit states.

Ratcliffe’s lawsuit makes claims of civil rights violations including the right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures, claims that Kibbe assaulted Ratcliffe, and Burch failed to intervene.

Burch avoided jail time as part of his plea deal last year, the negotiated sentence called for a year in jail, but that sentence was suspended for two years on the condition of good behavior. Burch was also required to complete 100 hours of community service within the next six months. Burch also agreed not to seek work in New Hampshire law enforcement.

Kibbe was sentenced to a year in jail in January of 2019, with all but 90 days suspended. He has also agreed to not work in law enforcement once he is released from jail.

Ratcliffe’s inclusion of the Lafont shooting in his lawsuit raises the questions about the first case in New Hampshire where the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office overturned a ruling in a police shooting.

Kibbe was initially cleared of wrongdoing in the shooting that was deemed legally justified. After Kibbe’s conviction for lying in the Ratcliffe case, Attorney General Gordon MacDonald re-investigated the shooting and found that he no longer considered the shooting legally justified.

“Instead, the Office has concluded that it could not disprove Mr. Kibbe’s self-defense claim, beyond reasonable doubt, and therefore no criminal charges will be filed against Mr. Kibbe and a result of Mr. Lafont’s death,” MacDonal’s statement reads.

Kibbe was the only witness to his shooting of Lafont, and he claimed that Lafont was armed during a confrontation at his home. The Attorney General’s investigation found that the revolver found near Lafont may not have functioned.

LaFont was known to be depressed and in the habit of calling police officers when suffering a mental health crisis, according to court records. Lafont’s family has disputed that he owned any guns at the time of his shooting death.

Kibbe was known to be aggressive on the job, Burch told investigators in the aftermath of the Ratcliffe arrest. Ratcliffe was arrested by Kibbe hours before the Lafont shooting, according to his lawsuit.

“During the stop, and throughout the encounter, Ratcliffe observed Kibbe to be acting unnaturally aggressive. Hours later, Kibbe would shoot and kill Claremont resident Cody Lafont,” the lawsuit states.

Ratcliffe would learn of the shooting a few hours later and he posted to social media that he believed Kibbe was the shooter even before that was confirmed by authorities.

“There was only one sociopath on duty that night,” Ratcliffe wrote.

Ratcliffe’s lawsuit states that “Kibbe noticed, read, and saved Ratcliffe’s social media postings about the shooting.”

Lafont’s family brought a lawsuit against the city, but dropped the case earlier this year. Bedrick, who represented the family in that lawsuit, stated that the family did not wish to proceed with the emotionally grueling legal process.

--Send news tips to

753 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All